Louie's Oyster Bar
Reservations are only accepted for indoor tables. Outdoor tables are seated on a first come first serve basis.See more Louie's Oyster Bar details
One of Long Island's oldest and most colorful restaurants. From its start in 1905, Louis Zwerlein's "Kare Killer" was a most unusual place. One had to get there by boat since it was built on a floating barge anchored out in the bay. One of its side attractions was that it afforded a fine view of the approaching boats from shore. On occasion, a husband sighting his wife on a course for the barge would dive headlong off the far side and strike out for Great Neck.
When prohibition killed the Kare Killer in 1916, the business moved to a spot adjacent to the Town Dock, renting boats, selling chowder and other seafood. Another move in the early thirties placed the restaurant in its present location still on the Main Street waterfront. In 1954, it was expanded into an adjoining building that had originally been a blacksmith shop.